5 important documents required before you go for a court marriage

Marriage is an inseparable part of our lives. Every single person saves his money for a grand wedding. With the fast-paced modern life, people are now more comfortable with court marriages. It saves money as well as time. At MyAdvo, court marriage experts make the legal procedure foolproof and help you to go through the overall process.

MyAdvo primarily operates in India. Apart from that, people from other countries can also enroll their names for availing the service of applying for court marriage with MyAdvo. In the presence of a marriage registrar and three witnesses, the whole procedure is carried out without any hassle.

Image result for court marriage

Process for court marriage

Let us discuss the procedure in detail:

  • You will be given a checklist of documents along with a questionnaire. You need to record your details in them.
  • When MyAdvo receives the filled up questionnaire, they will issue an intended marriage notice.
  • To decide where you want to solemnize your marriage, you need to select a district where either one of you has stayed for a minimum of one month before the notice was filed. The court marriage will be solemnized at the office of the marriage registrar of that district.
  • Once the place of the court marriage is decided, you along with your partner and three witnesses will need to meet the experts from MyAdvo. The meeting will take place at a time decided on mutual agreement. During the meeting, the experts from MyAdvo will check and finalize the documents. After that is done, MyAdvo will file the intended marriage notice.
  • The marriage officer will publish the notice once it reaches him. Along with that, he will also invite objections regarding the intended marriage. The objections – if any – must be raised within 30 days after the notice is published.
  • If someone raises an objection, the marriage officer will give both parties a chance to present their case. Once that is over, the officer will decide whether or not the objection is true. If it is, he won’t solemnize the marriage. However, the involved parties can appeal against the decision in the district court that falls under the jurisdiction of the marriage officer.
  • If there are no objections against the published notice within a month, the legal procedure will continue. In a time chosen upon mutual agreement, you, your partner, and the same three witnesses will have to appear before the marriage officer. There, you need to sign a declaration to solemnize the marriage.
  • The marriage officer will then issue a marriage certificate. Both the parties along with the three witnesses will need to sign this certificate. After the signing, the marriage officer will issue the marriage certificate to the couple.    

Required Documents from Bride and Bridegroom for court marriage

  • Bride and groom need to submit separate affidavits mentioning their date of birth, current marital status, along with the declaration that they are not related to one another within the degree of prohibited relationship defined in the Special Marriage Act.
  • The bride and groom also need to submit their residential proof. The photocopy of Aadhar card, Passport, Voter Card, Driving License, Ration Card, and Rent agreement/Lease agreement are accepted as the same.
  • Proof of date of birth should also be submitted by both the bride and groom. You can submit a photocopy of the birth certificate, passport, or class 10th certificate.
  • The bride and groom must submit 4 passport size photographs of them.
  • Intended marriage notice signed by both the bride and groom.
  • In case one of you is a divorcee, he/she needs to submit a copy of divorce order or decree. A death certificate of a spouse must be submitted if one of you is a widow or a widower.

A requirement from the Three Individual Witnesses

  • One passport size photograph of every witness.
  • Each witness will have to submit a photocopy of the PAN card.
  • A photocopy of Identity Documents such as Adhar Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID Card (both front and back), NFS Ration card, or any Govt recognized document is also mandatory to complete the requirements of the court marriage.